Thursday, March 22, 2012

Painting Sheep I: 1st Session

One of the lovely aspects about the countryside of Northern England is the hillsides that are dotted with sheep. It is a wonderland of rolling green pastures, stone fences, and grazing, happy sheep. I couldn't get enough of it. I literally sometimes yelled, "Stop the car! I must photograph those sheep!" And there was such a variety of them; I had never thought about all the different types of sheep that exist - all distinctly with their own look. All waiting for me to paint them.


Sheep Painting Study I
oil on panel, 10x8"
Session 1

This is the beginning of my first color study of some sheep that seemed so comfortable with me there, my camera in hand, snapping photos of them as the gorgeous light rested on their backs. When the sun shines in North Yorkshire, everything glows.

No comments:

Post a Comment